Sunday, March 28, 2010

DIY Play Kitchen from a Nightstand


Please, disregard the terrible lighting my kitchen gets at night!



Way back in January I saw a post from Homemade by Jill about play kitchens made from nightstands. I'd seen a few in flickr groups, but was inspired to finally make one myself.




My first trip out, I was lucky enough to find a lovely little nightstand for $6.99! I thought it could be so cute painted up that it hurt a little to disassemble the drawers and cut holes it the top. I took the top drawer apart, just keeping the front. My husband cut a hole in the front and I put some vinyl, a couple hinges, and a handle on. Inside, I set down a wire cooling rack-voila! oven!




I put a spring rod in place of the bottom drawer with some fabric. I wanted to be able to switch it up. On the right side I put a little chalkboard paint, and some hooks on the left.


I still need a few things to finish it off-like a faucet, and some more paint detail on the chalkboard side, a few pot holders and aprons for the other side, etc. Mainly, it is finished though, and I love it!

All in all, I spent about $10 on the kitchen (not including the voile on the little door...)

5 comments:

  1. that is cute as heck!! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be really pretty!
    have you seen this post:
    http://outofthecrayonbox.blogspot.com/2009/10/build-with-me-cute-thrifty-play-kitchen.html might help you :)

    I did one too. With an old TV cabinet, takes more time but I couldn't find a nightstand I like at a reasonable price...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's fantastic! That's about the best little kitchen I've seen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!!! This is incredible! So beautiful, creative and WAYYYYY better than something store bought!

    ReplyDelete

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.