Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Simple Spring Skirts



After the calendar turned to March, I couldn't stop thinking about warm weather.



I spent a couple hours this weekend working on this fabulous pattern from Anna Maria Horner.

The skirt is simple and essentially just a basic elastic skirt, but with four rows of elastic. The effect falls similar to shirring, but maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but I don't love shirring like some people love shirring.



I used some of Anna Maria Horner's Little Folks voille that I won free from the Copy Cat challenge when I made this brown dress, so thanks to you guys for the votes and the new skirt!

It only took me a couple of hours, and then a couple more to soak my thumbs since they were very sore from all the elastic threading...but very worth it.

The skirt is light weight and bouncy and too fun to wait until the snow melts. I had to throw some leggings on under and wear it to brunch with my hubby-it feels that cute!



Here's the link to the pattern. I know you'll want to run out and get stuff so you can make one this weekend too ;)

Here are a couple other spring skirts that look like quick weekend projects. There's is nothing more satisfying than making a cute skirt and being able to wear it the same day!

Sandy Henderson-Saturday Market Skirt
Grosgrain-20Minute Simple Skirt
Angry Chicken-5 Minute Skirt
Sew Much Ado-Maxi Skirt
Oliver+S-Lazy Days Skirt
Ruffled Skirt Tutorial
MADE-Circle Skirt
MADE-Market Skirt


Check out Suzannah's skirt she made this week at Adventures in Dressmaking! Click here to view all other Adventures with Sweetie Pie Bakery!









5 comments:

  1. Love the skirt! OT, but your red dress had me wondering if anyone is doing any sort of sew-a-long in honor of the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire's upcoming centennial on the 25th? Know of such a thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the drape of that fabric! I've got this tutorial on my to do list. I like that it looks like it's shirred but isn't b/c I'm not a big fan of shirring either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your fabric choice. I made this skirt this past weekend. You can see on my site essiesews.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your skirt looks fantastic! Love the other links as well.

    ReplyDelete

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.