A few weeks ago, my husband and I hosted his grandmother's 71st birthday party at our house. Going with a simple menu of grilled pizza, there was little cooking to be done and most of the mess stayed outside. I used our favorite pizza dough recipe, rolled out individual pizzas, and let everyone choose their own toppings. So easy...
For dessert, we had some dough left over and my husband threw together this dessert, turning out to be one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten!
Grilled Strawberry Pizza
1 pizza dough recipe (below)
2 strawberries, sliced thin
2 Tbs strawberry jam
2 Tbs. butter
1/4c. brown sugar
3 Tbs. flour
3 Tbs. rolled oats
1/8 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
First, you will make the crumb topping. Combine all of the ingredients, except for the butter, in a small mixing bowl. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender, or fork, until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
Take one precooked miniature pizza and add the jam, then sliced strawberries. Top with the oatmeal crumble mixture and return to the grill for a few more minutes. After it has cooled slightly, drizzle with icing if desired. Serve warm!
Pizza Dough Recipe
1 Tbs. active dry yeast
1 c. warm water 105-115°F
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. olive oil
2 1/2c. flour
1. Dissolve yeast in the water. Set aside.
2. Combine all other ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer.
3. Add yeast and water and combine. Mix with dough hook approx. 5 mins, until dough is smooth and pulls from side of bowl.
4. Roll the dough onto a floured surface. Press into a floured pan and bake for 12-15 mins at 450°.
5. If grilling, roll the dough very thin and place onto a well floured board. Transfer to grill.