Monday, August 2, 2010

Sweet Style::Back to School JCrew



Ever since I was a little girl, back to school time has felt more like New Year's.

New grade, new teachers, new classroom, new supplies, new friends, and most importantly, new clothes!

All families buy clothes differently, but I felt like I was going on a shopping spree when I was little. We would drive out of the small town I lived in to the BIG mall; it was such an adventure!

Anyhow, my little girl is too little for school, but I still feel the excitement with the back to school catalogs.


JCrew's Crewcut line for fall was adorable, as always, but not worth breaking the bank for when you know how to sew!

I'm new to garment sewing, so I didn't feel quite confident just whipping up a pattern on my own. Actually, I didn't feel like spending hours trying to figure it out when I could just run a quick google search and find a lovely blogger who has probably done a tutorial on what I was looking for! (you sewing bloggers are just lovely!)

So the JCrew skirt I was looking for was a bubble skirt with drawstring waist. Simple enough I found a tutorial and went with it. I figured out the drawstring on my own-I just had to leave the length of the outside skirt a bit longer to compensate for being folded over a bit more.


This is some of the fabric I got on my trip to Minnesota. I really love the menswear and the contrast of the blue and yellow. I was unable to find yellow twill like I was looking for so I used a bit of yellow bias tape for the drawstring and made some button holes instead of grommets for the opening.


I think this skirt is utterly adorable and wonder if I can get away with making one my own size?


Here is the link to the tutorial I used. Thank you, Sew Hip Mama!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!! Love this skirt. Great job. How cute is your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skirt is SO cute!!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.