Monday, July 16, 2012

1950s Vintage Wedding Dress


Is this the post you've been waiting for?  Thank you so much for reading about the process of making this dress!



The concept:  My friend wanted a 1950s style dress.  Tea length is what she told me.  You can read more about that here.  I really wanted to create something for her that made her feel like a princess.  It is so important for a girl to feel the most beautiful as she has ever felt, on her wedding day.  (I think I succeeded in that.


The process:  I created this dress for her using a v-neck bodice, mid drift panel and rouched waist band.  The skirt was gathered with bias strip flowers.  For each flower, I cut a bias strip, gathered it, pressed it, then formed the flower working concentrically, from the outside in.  I pinned the outer shape and sewed down the center of the bias strip on the machine.  After the entire skirt was covered, I gathered the skirt and attached it to the waist to finish the dress.  After I put the zipper in, I went in and added the few in the back that were near the zipper.  I didn't want there to be a seam in the flowers so for those, I had to attach them by hand.  Yes, they took a long long time, but very worth it.  I would do it again. I really love this dress.


 

Congrats to the happy couple!



6 comments:

  1. Amazing!!! What a lovely bride and she looks fabulous in your stunning creation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is stunning! I almost didn't use that word when I saw the poster above describe the dress the same way. But it IS stunning. I'm so impressed with the flowers. I LOVE the pink peeking out. All of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful job. My sister was married in the 50's in a tea lenghth dress that my mom made. The beautiful pink tier on your dress does make it tea lenght and is a sweet surprise . I could easily envision the tedious process of creating the flow of flowers. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omigod, Jessi! It looks amaaaaaaaazing!!!!!! You did such a great job! I hope my comments helped the tiniest bit and I love what you did with it--it really is fantastic, congrats to you as well as the bride!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god this dress is gorgeous! It makes me happy how beautiful this dress :) I absolutely the style and added color. The bride of course makes it even more beautiful...You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.