Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hitting the Books (The Underside of Joy review)



I used to be an avid reader, pre art school days.  My first major was English Education.  After I went to art school, I was so busy reading trade publications that I didn't have time to sit down with a whole novel.  Now that the kids aren't babies anymore, I feel like I can make the time to read more.

Recently, I read the Underside of Joy by Sere Prince Halverson.  Overall, I felt like the story played like a Lifetime movie.  Emotional, dramatic and complete with happy ending.  There was no heavy literature, which disappointed me a bit.  I feel as though authors, often times, don't respect their readers enough.  I like a good story as much as the next person, but it's all about the journey, right?  I mean, isn't that why you sit down with a book rather than watch a movie in the first place?  To be swept away with the language.  I digress...My review would be that it was a great airplane book.  Quick to read and decently satisfying.  To sum it up, it's about a woman who loses her husband and is left to raise her step children alone...or so she thinks.  Quickly after she buries the love of her life, the mother comes back into the picture and the widow is faced with losing the children as well.  So heartbreaking and does make you reflect on the beauty of living in the moment and making you remember that everything is really just temporary...

Currently, I'm reading I Am Not Myself These Days by Josh Kilmer-Purcell.  I recently started watching The Beekman Boys on Netflix.  (Season 1 is currently available for Instant Play!)  My mom has been in love with them since the first show aired and has been trying to get me to watch the show ever since...and it's taken me a few years.  Anyhow, I found Josh and Brent to be an adorable couple with great credentials, and lovely farmers.  Don't worry, they didn't spark my interest in farming though-just my desire to own a llama ;)

I'm headed to the library today to pick up some books that you all suggested on gardening!  I plan to dive into them over the weekend and sketch out some plans. 

Are you reading anything good these days?

I was compensated for this BlogHer Book Club review but all opinions expressed are my own.



2 comments:

  1. I agree with your assessment that the author didn't quite trust her readers enough. This was especially true in the exposition sections of the book, which seemed to lay everything out, which was especially frustrating since I thought that many of the dialogue and action-based parts of the book were enjoyable. If Halverson had kept that same subtly throughout, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessi!

    So nice stopping by to meet you! Sweet place here at Sweetie Pie Bakery! I have had a great time perusing many of your posts! I am the cooking contributor at Blue Cricket Designs. Looking forward to visiting you again :)

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.